Temperatures have been dropping in the region, and residents are looking for ways to keep warm up.
That means some are breaking the space heater out of storage, and others are firing up the wood stove or fireplace.
Kenora Fire Chief Todd Skene reminds everyone that there are a few things to check before setting up for the winter.
"Good thing to do every year, for any of your appliances, is inspect the electrical cord. Make sure it's not frayed or wobbly where it plugs in," he continued "One of the big things every year is have your fireplace or wood stove inspected. Have them cleaned. A lot of people clean them themselves, so make sure you clean them regularly. It gets all the debris and all the soot out of the chimney and prevents chimney fires. A lot of people neglect that," he explained.
He said it's also important to make sure your space heater is CSA approved and to set it up in an empty space.
"Basically, 3 feet away from anything combustible. You really don't want any combustibles near them. We've had fires before where people have stored things as simple as boots too close and they've caught fire," he said.
He added the same consideration should be made for combustibles near fireplaces and wood stoves. It's important to not dry items on your wood stove or too close to the flames of your fireplace.
It's also important to make sure the wood you burn is properly seasoned to prevent build up in pipes.
Space heaters should also be turned off before leaving the house, and fires properly extinguished. Fires and space heaters shouldn't be left unattended in an empty home.